Saturday, June 13, 2009

Payao Thai

Honolulu $$ *****

Ironically, I only started getting into Thai food since I lived in Portland, probably because Thai food is the only Asian food that Portland has a lot of. Now that I'm back in Hawaii, I can explore even more Thai restaurants.
My co-worker and I kept hearing about Payao Thai from other co-workers, so we decided to try it at lunch one day. And boy, we now understand the hype. For a mere $10 (including tip and tax), you get the following:
Choice of appetizer: I chose 3 spring rolls. Another choice was chicken wings, but I forgot the others. The spring rolls were fabulous! Crispy (but not oily) on the outside, stuffed with goodies on the insie.
Choice of rice: Steamed, brown, or sticky. I ordered steamed, but our waitress must have misheard me because she brought back sticky; I don't regret it at all -- the sticky rice was amazing!
Choice of entree: Sorry again, I don't remember the other choices, but I ordered my favorite - pad thai. You can also choose what meat you want in the pad thai. So good! The noodles were tasty, the chicken was nice and soft, and there weren't too many peanuts.
We also ordered iced coffee for $2. It was crowded because everyone was on their lunch break, but service was pretty good and very courteous. Minimal décor with a few random paintings here and there. I will definitely be eating here the next time I'm too lazy to bring a sandwich to work!

Payao Thai (Kaka'ako)
500 Ala Moana Blvd (Restaurant Row)
Honolulu, HI 96813

No comments:

Post a Comment