Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Habibi Lebanese Cuisine

Portland $ *****
I love this place! Habibi is a casual, friendly Lebanese restaurant in downtown, right next to the Persian House (which is also right next to India House). My friends and I went on a Friday night. It was pretty full when we came, so I'm glad I had made reservations earlier. We were led up the stairs, which were lined with hookahs, to the upper level.

I had the beef shawarma and black tea with fresh mint. Both were wonderful. The beef shawarma came on a beautiful gold leaf-shaped plate and consisted of perfectly-sized slices of tender beef marinated with onions, garlic, vinegar & Lebanese spices. It was on a large serving of their special flavored rice. I was a little sad that it did not come with some pita bread, especially after trying a piece of my friend's pita bread, but I survived.
After our meal, my friend ordered a Turkish coffee, and oh lord -- words cannot describe that coffee. I would come back for the coffee alone! As it should be, her coffee was served in a pot called a cezve. Dark and sweet. This is easily the best coffee I've ever had. Now that is how coffee is supposed to taste like!
The service was quick and friendly. One of the guys (the owner, I think?) was quite flirtacious, which is always a nice touch on a Friday night with the girls. I need to go back very soon because I am craving that coffee!

Habibi Lebanese Cuisine (Downtown)
1012 SW Morrison Blvd
Portland, OR 97205

No comments:

Post a Comment