Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mother's Bistro and Bar

Portland $$$ *****I was actually a little disappointed in this place - not because it was bad. On the contrary, I loved Mother's. There was so much hype around Mother's (Bill Clinton once dined here, my friends' recommendations, and online reviews), so my expectations were probably unfairly high. However, while eating there, I couldn't help but compare it to another one of my favorite brunch place, Gracie's; and I'll have to say that I prefer Gracie's.
Nevertheless, Mother's is a wonderful restaurant, and I will definitely be returning, maybe for lunch next time. I came here with a friend for brunch. I had eggs, bacon, and a hot chocolate - the same thing I always order at Gracie's.
Since I like lists, I will make one comparing Gracie's and Mother's:
Things better at GRACIE'S: hot chocolate, roast potatoes, toast, décor
Things better at MOTHER'S: eggs, location
Both had great but different atmospheres - Gracie's had a swanky Golden Age Hollywood feel to it, while Mother's had a cozy (surprise, surprise) motherly feel to it. Both were about the same price and both have reinforced my love for brunch.
Mother's Bistro and Bar (downtown)
212 SW Stark Street
Portland, OR 97204
Brunch: Tue-Fri 7am-2:30pm, Sat-Sun 9am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tue-Thu 5:30pm-9:00pm, Fri 5pm-10pm, Sat 5pm-10pm
~$15 for eggs, bacon, toast, potatoes, hot chocolate

No comments:

Post a Comment