Wednesday, May 27, 2009

town

Honolulu $$ ****
Unsurprisingly, town (yes, lowercase "t") is owned by the same guy that owns Downtown @ the HiSAM. town is located in Kaimuki, one of my favorite underrated neighborhoods in Hawaii, because of its array of eateries and unpretentious charm.
The atmosphere of town is quite different from that of Downtown. While Downtown is bright and airy, with lots of light wood tones and artwork hanging on the walls, town is darker with a more industrial feel (think stainless steel tables, concrete floors, dark woods). However, both have quirky light fixtures, and both are very appealing.
Similar menu as Downtown, but at town, since it's located in Kaimuki instead of in the middle of downtown, you can actually see the tomato plants growing outside (all their food is organic and many of the menu items are grown right in their garden). I ordered a grass-fed hamburger on potato bread and french fries. The hamburger was pretty good, nothing to get excited about, but the fries were great, just like the ones found at Kua'aina. Thinly-cut and salty, just the way I like it. Large portions - I took home more than half of my lunch. Even Chelsea brought home leftovers, and she NEVER has leftovers!
Overall, I prefer the food at town more than at Downtown, but the atmosphere is nicer at Downtown - plus you get to go to the free art gallery. Regardless, I always enjoy my lunches at these two places.

town (Kaimuki)
3435 Waialae Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
Mon-Thu 6:30am-9:30pm
Fri-Sat 6:30am-10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment